09 January 2010

Lions and tigers and bears ... oh my!

Today we all had a serious full day of walking through the Bird Park, Singapore Zoo and the Night Safari. We spent well over 12 hours walking the parks. My feet are seriously tired.

All three parks are really nice. There were plenty of trees, plants, and flowers. I can really see why the zoo is named one of the best in the world. I was taking pictures like a mad man. We went to the bird park first because it was far from the zoo and night safari, which are right next to each other. It was exciting to see all the different kinds of birds. The penguin room was where I also started using my new pocket camera to record videos of the penguins swimming and interacting with each other.


Towards the end of going through the Bird Park I changed my camera battery because didn't charge it up over night. About a quarter way through the Singapore Zoo my back up battery which was fully charged also died on me. It was interesting how, one by one, each of us exhausted the use of any digital recording device. Steve ran out of room on his camera after we finished the Bird Park. Then my camera batteries died, which I then resorted to using just the video camera, and then Kamil's camera battery died too. Adan was the only one left to take pictures for the rest of us. It was a good thing that he didn't run into any issues.

This video camera came in handy when the camera failed me. I captured a lot of clips of the animals walking or interacting with each other. I also recorded three shows from the zoo -- one during the polar bear feeding, another of the elephants and one of aquatic animals. I'm curious to see the videos once I get them on my computer.


The Night Safari was fun too. It's an interesting experience to see the animals at night. A good number of them were sleeping, but there was still plenty to see. Walking through the area where all the bats are was really neat and really scary at the same time. They were all either sleeping or flying around. Either way, the thought of one of them flying near you was nerve wracking. The flying squirrels were fun to watch. As we got into the habitat area I saw one of the squirrels flying towards me and leering towards a tree to the right of me. Those things are huge with their body spread out. We also took the tram tour. It was nice to sit.

I didn't think we'd actually be at the Night Safari until close to closing time at 12 midnight. I also don't know how time goes so fast. It's a little after 2 am. It's been a fun and exhausting trip today. I think I'll be sleeping well tonight.

No comments: